Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Using "The Commons"

City, public library - Originally uploaded by The Library of Virginia

As discussed in my previous post "The Commons" contains a variety of photos. The above photo is just one example of what can be found on the site. It is titled "City, public library" with the date of February 6, 1956. It can be found using through using the commons website. A direct link to the photo is http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_virginia/2899334394/

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God, they all look so old fashioned and pompous!
    I actually found the photo really interesting (for one, there's not a computer in sight, weren't they the days!) because just today, as I was packing up the St Therese's library ahead of the demolition, the office lady gave me the photo album from the previous rebuilding project 15 years ago. It showed the library (the one I'm in now) in all its glory - although the building is as old as the hills, it has only been a library for 15 years. But even in such a short time I noticed many differences - mainly no computer, they must have used the card system. One photo showed a fire place they discovered as they were rebuilding! It has made me think of putting it all on a site like Flickr - what a shame that these wonderful photos are rotting away inside compactors!
    Really interesting Janey, I'm really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I can remember libraries like tht!!! (Help - I just had a birthday and am feeling like I should be one of the people in the photo! Yes when I started there were only card catalogues. Naughty students in my first school library tipped all the cards out just before term started so I had to spend some of my holidays sorting them all out! Are the joys of computers!

    Very intersting post and comments - thans
    Leonie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating photo - you can almost hear them pursing their lips and saying 'Shush!'

    ReplyDelete